You’ll win rave reviews from your Thanksgiving guests when you replace ho-hum canned cranberry sauce or tart cranberry relish with delicious Florida Citrus Cranberry Relish. Fresh Florida oranges add a little sweetness and special zest to this Thanksgiving favorite.
Florida Citrus Cranberry Relish
1 small (3 ounce) box raspberry jello
1 cup boiling water
2 cups washed whole cranberries
2 Florida navel oranges
1 cup sugar
- In a bowl, thoroughly mix jello and boiling water until jello dissolves. Set aside but do not refrigerate.
- Peel skin from one orange as thinly as possible, cut peeled skin into small pieces and reserve.
- Section both oranges, removing as much white rind as possible and slice each section into small chunks (approximately 1/4-inch).
- Place cranberries and orange peel in food processor and pulse until berries are well ground but not pureed. Strain out juice and pour cranberries into bowl.
- Add orange meat and sugar to cranberry mixture and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add reserved jello and stir until mixture is well-blended. Pour into a pretty glass serving dish or molds and refrigerate overnight to set.
Makes 6 to 8 servings, enough for 1 large mold or 6 to 8 individual molds.
If molding, just prior to serving, dip molds briefly into a pan of hot water to loosen and upend on serving plates or platter. If refrigerated and kept tightly covered, Florida Citrus Cranberry Relish can be made several days before serving.