Don’t toss those orange peels in the trash! Turn them into fragrant holiday potpourri. Fun and easy to make, potpourri is a great family craft for kids old and young. Whip up a batch of our Florida Orange Potpourri and it will be ready for gift-giving on Christmas morning. You’ll want to make extra to keep your home smelling fresh and clean through the holidays and chilly winter months to come. A little whiff of Florida sunshine is the perfect antidote to gray winter days.
Florida Orange Potpourri
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel 4 Florida navel oranges in long, wide curling strips. (Florida grapefruit can also be used.)
- Sandwich peels between paper towels and microwave for 5 minutes at 50% power.
- Cool on a wire rack and allow to dry for 2 days.
- In a large plastic container with a lid, combine:
3 cups small pine cones and seedpods. (Take the kids for a neighborhood hike to look for suitable material.) Dried flowers may also be added, if desired.
Dried orange peels
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon ground cloves
1 cup coarse crushed cinnamon sticks
4 drops orange essential oil (vanilla or cinnamon oil may be substituted)
- With a wooden spoon, stir gently to mix and distribute oil.
- Seal container and set aside for 2 weeks, shaking gently once a day to mix ingredients.
- Spoon into baskets or bowls for gift-giving or home use.