The holidays are coming to a close, and it will soon be time to pay the piper for a month of dining excess and sugary splurges. With New Year’s right around the corner, it’s time to put holiday indulgences behind us and work on losing the extra pounds we’ve packed on since Thanksgiving.
Losing a few pounds and eating a healthier diet top lists of New Year’s resolutions. The beginning of a New Year offers a new chance to conquer our diet demons. Unfortunately good intentions are not enough. We all know how quickly New Year’s diet resolutions can be broken. For long-term success, experts recommend embracing lifestyle changes. Finding nutritious substitutes for high-calorie foods, decreasing portion size and increasing exercise are healthy ways to trim off and keep off excess pounds.
Consuming a glass of fresh-squeezed Florida grapefruit juice or half a sweet, juicy Florida grapefruit with every meal may help you lose weight. Low in calories, Florida grapefruit contain fat-burning flavonoids and fiber to help you feel full. Sweet and juicy, Florida grapefruit are also a healthy way to curb cravings for sweets.
Stock up on Florida grapefruit now and vow to keep your New Year’s resolutions this year. To receive a 10% discount on your Florida grapefruit order, enter the coupon code “blog” at checkout.
Cute as can be, Florida Baby Bells are the perfect gift to celebrate a pregnancy or surprise a new mom. Darling miniature versions of their big brothers, Baby Bells have the same honey-sweet flavor and superior juiciness of our popular full-size Florida Honeybells. Packed with vitamins and essential nutrients, our Baby Bell Bouquet or Baby Bell gift box is the perfect gift for your favorite new mom or mom-to-be. A gift of fresh-picked Florida Honeybells sends a delicious message of love, support and good health — and our cute little Baby Bells add a touch of charming whimsy to a gift that is sure to be appreciated and enjoyed.
In addition to being rich in vitamin C and potassium, Florida citrus fruit is an excellent source of folate, a B vitamin that may help reduce the risk of certain birth defects. Eaten whole, fresh Florida citrus fruit is also a valuable source of soluble fiber which aids digestion. Best of all, Baby Bells are a delicious way for mothers-to-be and new moms to get the extra nutritional boost they need.
If you’re planning to host a shower for the new mom-to-be, order an extra box or two of Baby Bells. Use them in table decorations or to anchor place cards. Clothe them in tiny diapers fashioned from triangles of cloth pinned together with diaper pins; or sit Baby Bells in doll-size rocking chairs; or fill a small cradle with Baby Bells and invite guests to take a few home.
The Florida citrus season is in full swing with more of your favorite varieties scheduled to come into season over the next few months. You still have one more month to enjoy Florida navel oranges. We’ll still be shipping America’s favorite eating orange into January, but don’t wait too long to place your order as the navel orange season started early this year and may end earlier than expected. Our sweet Florida Ruby Red grapefruit and Florida Marsh White grapefruit are expected to be available into April or May.
Here’s a quick rundown on what’s coming up. Mark your calendar now so you don’t miss your favorites or, better yet, place your orders with FloridaOrange.com today and we’ll ship your order as soon as your selections come into season.
- Florida Honeybells: These super-sweet tangelos are only available in January so place your order now.
- Florida Temple oranges: A seeded hybrid of mandarin and sweet oranges that is only available in February, temple oranges are a sweet, juicy eating orange with a thick, shiny reddish-orange skin.
- Florida Honey Tangerines: Only available in February, a zipper skin and honey-sweet flavor make honey tangerines a snacking and lunchbox favorite.
- Florida Valencia oranges: America’s favorite juicing orange, Valencias are available from March through May.
To make sure you receive the first pick of the season, order your favorite Florida citrus fruit on FloridaOrange.com now. To receive a 10% discount off your order, enter the coupon code “blog” at checkout.
Florida Orange Fruit Clubs allow you to enjoy the best of Florida citrus all season long. Each month you will receive a box of our sweetest, juiciest in-season Florida citrus fruit. Whether you treat yourself or give them as a gift, Florida citrus fruit clubs ensure that you won’t miss a single one of your favorite Florida citrus treats, each hand-picked at the peak of ripeness and rushed to your door.
We offer a variety of wonderful Florida Fruit Club options to fit every budget and include all your Florida citrus favorites:
- Easy-peel, zipper-skinned Autumn tangerines;
- Luscious Scarlet Navels, blushing with juicy flavor;
- Juicy Florida Navel oranges, America’s favorite eating orange;
- Florida Valencia oranges, America’s favorite juicing orange; and
- Luscious Florida Ruby Red grapefruit.
Fruit Club recipients are also treated to some of the Florida’s most unusual and most delicious citrus treats. Only available for a single month, these citrus varieties are prized for their unique flavors:
- Incomparable Florida Honeybell tangelos, prized for their cute bell-like shape and honey-sweet flavor;
- Unusual Ortaniques, an exotic hybrid that combines the sweet juiciness of Florida oranges with the spicy flavor of mandarin tangerines; and
- Super-sweet Florida Honey tangerines, a snacking favorite.
If you love the sweet, juicy tang of Florida citrus fruit, our Florida Citrus Fruit Clubs deliver the best of the best! Order yours today. Enter coupon code “blog” at checkout and we’ll give you a 10% discount on your Florida Orange order.
Place your orders now; we’re getting ready to start shipping sweet, luscious Florida Honeybells as soon as the New Year begins. A gourmet treat that is only available for a few short weeks in January, Florida Honeybells are prized for their lush honey-sweet flavor and abundance of sparkling juice. Though only available for a brief time, citrus lovers eagerly await Florida Honeybell season all year long.
Recognized by their charming bell-like shape, Florida Honeybells have a brilliant orange skin that’s easy to peel. A delicious tangerine-grapefruit hybrid, Florida Honeybells have a unique flavor that has won them legions of fans. A delicious snack or mealtime accompaniment, try these uses for fresh Florida Honeybells:
- For brighter color and flavor, add Honeybell sections to fruit salads.
- Toss Honeybell sections into mixed greens to add color and interest to salads.
- Add fresh-squeezed Honeybell juice to impart a sweet tang to vinaigrettes and marinades.
- Top focaccia with Honeybell slices for a delicious snack.
- Toss halved Honeybells on the grill as an accompaniment to fish or chicken.
- For a quick dessert, spoon Honeybell sections over vanilla ice cream or pound cake.
Savor the Florida Honeybell season by ordering our Double Bells special. We’ll ship you an order of our luscious, fresh-picked Florida Honeybells on the first week of the season and the last; doubling your opportunity to enjoy this gourmet citrus treat. Save 10% off your FloridaOrange.com Honeybells order by entering the coupon code “blog” when you check out.
Florida Citrus Shells are an elegant way to serve holiday desserts. (Click the link for how-to instructions.) Fill orange shells with ice cream or sherbet and serve with a plate of our luscious Key Lime and Orange Walnut Thimble Cookies.
For a light dessert that is deliciously refreshing, fill orange shells with homemade sorbet made with Florida navel oranges.
Fresh Florida Orange Sorbet
- Carefully remove the zest from two Florida navel oranges, scraping off pith.
- Place zest in a saucepan with 2 cups water and 1-1/3 cups sugar.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Cover pan, reduce to low heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain syrup into a bowl, discarding zest, and cool.
- When cool, stir into the syrup 3 cups fresh-squeezed Florida orange juice and 4 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Poor the mixture into a 9″ x 13″ glass or ceramic pan. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and freeze for 4 to 5 hours until the mixture is firm.
- Remove pan from freezer and scoop mixture into a chilled mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for a minute or two until airy. Do not allow to melt.
- Immediately spoon sorbet into a sealed freezer container and freeze until firm.
- Just before serving, remove sorbet from the freezer and allow to stand briefly before scooping into shells.
- Place each shell on a small dessert plate or bowl and serve immediately.
If you’re looking for unique ideas to add pizzazz to your holiday table, use the scooped out shells of Florida oranges and Florida grapefruit as serving containers. Florida orange shells are just the right size to hold individual servings. Use them to serve fruit salad at holiday brunches or turn mundane Jello or yogurt into a memorable treat for your kids. Filled with cranberry-orange relish, they add elegance to turkey and ham platters.
For a holiday dessert with panache, fill orange shells with fresh orange sherbet and serve with a slice of delicious Dockside Bundt Cake or tasty Tropical Breezer Cookies. Florida grapefruit shells are the perfect size for serving chicken salad at festive luncheons. Or fill them with dip to add pizzazz to fruit and veggie trays.
How to Make Florida Citrus Shells
- Cut Florida orange or grapefruit in half. Using a grapefruit knife or sharp paring knife, separate the fruit from the shell by cutting around outer edge of the fruit.
- Scoop fruit flesh from the shell with a spoon, using the spoon’s tip to scrape out as much flesh as possible.
- To keep the shells from rolling, cut a thin slice from the bottom of each shell so it will sit flat.
- To scallop the edges of each shell, use a paring knife or kitchen shears to cut notches around the shell edge.
- Seal in a plastic bag and store in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to use.